In Kumashi, Kaduna South Local Government, a six-year-old girl identified as Aisha Ya’u was reportedly raped and murdered by unknown persons. On Sunday, November 8, a few hours after she was reported missing, her lifeless body was found dumped in a graveyard near her house.
A family source who spoke to the Nigerian Tribune reported that around 11 a.m. on Sunday, the girl returned from Islamiyya, changed into her playwear, and then went out to play with other children in the neighborhood.
It was not until a few hours later that Amaratu Ya’u, her mother, realized she was missing.
“The search for the girl began and she was found dead by a farmer with sand all over her body at a burial ground in the town,” the source revealed.
“The search began about midnight and lasted until evening. It was a man returning from a farm who found the lifeless body of Aisha dumped near their home in the cemetery and alerted people,” added the source.
Commissioner Hafsat Muhammad-Baba of the Ministry of Human Services and Social Welfare, who confirmed the incident, called on the State Police Commissioner to deploy all available resources to apprehend the perpetrators of the heinous crime.
Right-thinking Kaduna people are very sad about this unfortunate development. While we are still waiting for the arrest of criminal elements who during the lockdown did a similar thing in the same place, this one has happened again. It is, to say the least, unfortunate,’ she said.
This is coming at a time when the new administrative action in Kaduna State is doing everything possible to protect our children. Such criminals are still on a rampage, but they must be stopped.
With violence like this, our children are no longer safe and this can happen to any child, so our protection must do its job to arrest the perpetrators and bring them to justice for the victims.
I am calling on CP Muri Umar, the Police Commissioner in Kaduna, to help us get to the bottom of this. I know the police have a way of investigating an incident like this. This is necessary because the perpetrators of these two sad incidents are on the rampage, she said, and they must not allow them to do the third one.
However, confirming the incident, the Command Speaker, ASP Muhammed Jalige, said the cause of death would be confirmed after an autopsy.
Jalinge said the police had already gone to the Magistrate Court to sign a form of the coroner that would allow the hospital to perform an examination of the girl’s remains.
The police are seeking to get a form signed by a magistrate court called the coroner form. This is a form that will allow the girl to be checked by the hospital. The hospital will then release the corpse to the parents for burial after the test,’ he said.