Police in the Netherlands has recently arrested Ajax footballer Quincy Promes over a serious stabbing incident.
The 28-year-old Dutchman was taken into custody on Sunday morning in connection with an incident that took place in Abcoude, a city south of the outskirts of Amsterdam, in late July.
According to Dutch outlet De Telegraaf, Promes is accused of the attack, resulting in severe physical injuries.
If the accused is found guilty, the offense in question carries a four-year prison sentence – and a judge will determine this afternoon if the defendant will be taken to trial.
Promes is said to have wounded a family member on the night in question, and police spokesman Jelmer Geerds reported the arrest on Sunday morning.
In connection with the stabbing incident, the statement read that a 28-year-old male had been arrested.
However, Geerds has been forced to deny that the delayed arrest of Promes was due to the footballing schedule of Ajax in recent months or due to the status of the player.
“A month ago, we just learnt about the incident. An investigation was then initiated and led to an arrest this morning,’ said Geerds.
The police also said that they were waiting for an acceptable moment to make the arrest.
Promes starred in Ajax’s 4-0 victory over PEC Zwolle on Saturday afternoon, with the attacker scoring in the 11th minute.
But today, the former star of Seville is in custody, where he may be held for the next three to four days before being released.
Since 2019, Promes has been an Ajax player and made his 2014 Dutch national team debut.
In the summer, the wide man was connected with a transfer to the English side Southampton but remained at the Eredivisie club.
For the Dutch outfit, Promes appeared 28 times, scoring 15 goals.