Having tested positive for Covid-19, Lewis Hamilton will not compete in the Sakhir Grand Prix in Bahrain this weekend.
Hamilton, who was already crowned the season’s world champion, won Sunday’s Bahrain Grand Prix.
Although Formula One confirmed that Hamilton woke up with mild symptoms on Monday and returned with a positive result.
F1 said that prior to Hamilton’s arrival in Bahrain, a touch had already tested positive with the Brit isolating in compliance with Covid-19 standards and recommendations for public health in Bahrain.
Following Sergio Perez at Silverstone and Lance Stroll in Germany, Hamilton is the third F1 driver to test positive for Covid-19 this season.
Mercedes is expected to announce, in due time, Hamilton’s replacement for the Sakhir Grand Prix this weekend.
For the final race this season in Abu Dhabi, scheduled for 13 December, Hamilton remains in doubt, as he will have to return to the negative test before the race weekend.
Lewis was checked three times last week and returned a negative result each time, the last of which was as part of the regular race weekend test program at the Bahrain International Circuit on Sunday afternoon. A Mercedes statement read:
However, he woke up with mild symptoms on Monday morning and was told at the same time that the touch had consequently tested positive prior to his arrival in Bahrain.
Therefore, Lewis took a further examination and obtained a positive outcome. Since then, this has been verified by a retest.
In a race that will be remembered for the tragic incident involving Romain Grosjean, Hamilton won the lead in Bahrain.
On the first lap, the Haas driver crashed and the driver somehow emerged from a fireball that saw his car break the fence and finish in two.
Grosjean walked away from the incident, but both hands ended up in the hospital with burns.