The father and agent of Lionel Messi, Jorge Messi, has responded to news that the Barcelona star is considering relocating to Paris Saint-Germain next summer.
Ever since revealing his intention to leave Barca, Messi’s future has been a constant discussion.
He ended up not leaving after he was told that his team would have to pay a €700 million release clause for him to leave in the summer of 2020.
This week, ESPN published a report claiming that contact between the French champions and Messi Sr. had already been made with a view to brokering an agreement, with talks possible as early as January.
But now the agent has denied the report as fake news.
Jorge fired on Instagram “Stop inventing! Fake news,” sharing his message over a screenshot of the rumor of the offending transfer.
Messi is currently at home in Paraguay preparing for Thursday’s CONMEBOL World Cup qualifier in his native Argentina.
Last weekend, coach Ronald Koeman left Messi out of the starting line-up, although he came on at half-time to contribute two goals and an assist to his side’s 5-2 defeat of Betis.
Koeman told Sport of his star, “Messi showed me to be a guy who wants to win stuff and continue to be the best, even though he had his problems with the club.”
With Messi, Barcelona have been, are and will be a better team than without. They told me when I arrived that Messi was unhappy.
We were talking at his house and he explained to me his reasons. I’ve been frank. I told him that the system is the only thing, his position on the field, his significance in the team.
But I couldn’t change the issues he had with the club. I have said the same thing from the first day. He is the best and is committed to the club.
He’s had his issues, his problems this summer, but he’s been really good since he got back to training.
“In some games he has had bad luck and he has not been able to deliver the normal results, but I am sure he would have scored the usual goals at the end of the season.”