President Muhammadu Buhari has called on private sectors in the federation’s 36 states, including Abuja, the federal capital, to demonstrate an interest in employing young Nigerians in their institutions.
On Monday, during the formal flag-off of the Expanded Special Public Works Program (ESPWP) held in Abakiliki, the President made this call in Abakiliki.
He clarified that his administration’s priorities to resolve the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic and the #EndSARS mayhem were to launch the initiative nationally.
He added that the COVID-19 pandemic that gripped the entire world early last year triggered the country’s tremendous economic dislocation, stressing that the country’s unemployment rate was further exacerbated.
“On this note, I would like to take this opportunity to call on the private sector, after acquiring knowledge and skills in the process of implementing this programme, to show interest in the employment of Nigerian young people, essentially those participants.”
President Buhari, who shared the participants’ faith in the future economy, noted that the program would motivate some of them to be self-employed.
Earlier, the chairman of the federal government’s Ebonyi State Extended Special Public Works Program, Dr. Edward Nkwegu, said that in three months of implementing the program in the state alone, the federal government would invest around seven hundred and eighty million Naira.
From January to March this year, the federal government will include 1,000 people recruited per local government area.
“And the sum of 20,000 each will be paid for the three-month period, and Ebonyi has recruited a total of 13, 000 people from 13 LGAs in the state,” he said.