After apparently swallowing a toilet cleaner capsule that caused her to vomit pink fluid, a two-year-old girl died, an inquest has heard.
“On June 28 last year, after she threw up” bright pink liquid, “Arietta-Grace Barnett’s mum rushed her to the hospital.
On July 2, before attending an outpatient appointment the next day, the tot was considered well enough to leave Southampton General Hospital, the Winchester hearing was told.
A week later, however, Arietta-Grace began bleeding and died the same day in the hospital.
Arietta-Grace was presumed to have swallowed the Toilet Duck capsule, Coroner Rosamund Rhodes-Kemp said.
She said: “On June 28, 2019, Lucy Cook called 111 concerned her daughter Arietta-Grace may have swallowed a cleaning product while mum was downstairs, Arietta was upstairs.
“An ambulance was called and Arietta was suffering from diarrhea and vomiting that was reported as pink in colour.
“She was admitted to hospital and remained there until July 2 when she was discharged.
“She went to an outpatient clinic on July 3 and sadly she was readmitted to hospital on July 9 in cardiac arrest having suffered bleeding at home earlier that day.
“Arietta couldn’t be revived, and she died in the hospital.”
It was unclear why the vomit was pink when the Toilet Duck capsule Arietta-Grace was presumed to have swallowed was a blue / green color, Ms Rhodes-Kemp said.
She said Mrs. Cook ‘s mother, Arietta-Grace, had pink hair at the time, but she assured the doctors that there was no hair dye in the building.
“Dr. Nicola Trevelyan, pediatric consultant at Southampton General Hospital, said:” We couldn’t understand why the vomit was bright pink.
She said no-one had seen the capsule swallowed by Arietta-Grace, but added: “That seemed to be the most reasonable thing she might have taken.”
“As a pediatrician, my experience is that things that look like candy will draw kids to play with them.”
While Arietta-Grace appeared to have trouble taking on fluids and food when admitted to the hospital, Dr. Trevelyan said she stopped vomiting and seemed to improve her health.