After a major fire broke out inside a neonatal care unit at a hospital, at least 10 infants died.
The tragic incident occurred about 2 a.m. on Saturday, January 9, at the District General Hospital in Bhandara, India.
Fortunately, seven other babies were rescued from the blaze by hospital staff.
According to local sources, all of the children who lost their lives were aged between one and three months old.
Dr Pramod Khandate said, “The staff tried their best to save the babies,”
The fire was triggered in the Sick Newborn Care Unit by a short circuit, Maharashtra Health Minister Rajesh Tope said.
“The inquiries are going on,” Tope said, adding that $6,813 (5 lakh Indian rupees) will be paid to each of the affected families in compensation. The state would also cover the burden of funerals and therapy.
Tope said, “Whosoever is guilty in this will not be spared at all,” “It should be ensured that such type of incidences do not occur henceforth.”
Prime Minister Narendra Modi wrote on Twitter: “Heart-wrenching tragedy in Bhandara, Maharashtra, where we have lost precious young lives,”
“My thoughts are with all the bereaved families. I hope the injured recover as early as possible.”
Also among those who have shared their sorrow is Opposition leader Rahul Gandhi.
In a tweet, Union Home Minister Amit Shah wrote: “The Maharashtra district hospital fire accident in Bhandara is very tragic.”
“Beyond words, I am pained. My thoughts and prayers are with the families who are bereaved. God will grant them the power to bear this irreparable loss.”
Indian President Ram Nath Kovind’s office also tweeted: “I am profoundly saddened by the premature death of infants in a Bhandara, Maharashtra, fire crash. My sincere condolences to the families who, in this heartbreaking case, lost their kids.”